Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Module 2 Cognitivism as a Learning Theory

Eeny, Meeny, Miny Moe, which learning theory is the best of all?

There is a multiple array of ideas and programs based on one or more learning theory.  Even though each learning theory has valid ideas on how people learn, I have always felt that one learning theory never truly explained how people learn.  It seems I am not the only one who thinks that each learning theory alone is not enough.  Karl Kapp (2007) states that educators must take the best from each and use it to “create solid educational experiences” (paragraph 2).  Katie Lepi (2012) posted an infographic to help show how each learning theory has a place in education, but all are needed to have a complete learning theory. 
Bill Kerr (2007) states learning theories have their place in education.  We cannot abandon the learning theories just because of the weaknesses each may have (Kerr, 2007).  Learning theories help to justify big changes that need and should take place in the field of education (Kerr, 2007). 
As an educator, how do I choose which learning theory best meets my needs?  Kapp (2007) describes some activities that match each one.  Activities that require memorization, recognizing, or labeling would be considered a behaviorist approach (Kapp, 2007).  Activities with a more cognitivism feel would include procedural or rule-based learning while problem-solving would cater more toward constructivism (2007).

References

Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html
Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and about: Discussion on educational schools of thought  [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.kaplaneduneering.com/kappnotes/index.php/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational/

Lepi, K. (2012, December 12).  A Simple Guide to 4 Complex Learning Theories.  Retrieved from http://www.edudemic.com/a-simple-guide-to-4-complex-learning-theories/

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,

    You are not the only one who thinks that each learning theory alone is not enough to explain how people learn. I believe what you believe about learning theory too. As educators, we have an obligation to do our best for our students to become better readers, writers, math solvers, and scientists. Many times, I try to do my best to help my students succeed in their studies but my best is not enough? I wonder why this happens to me. Is it because my knowledge of how to apply learning theory in my classes is not enough to support my students? I believe learning theory has to do with this. Therefore, the answer to my question lays in the word of Karl Kapp. Kapp (2007) states that educators must take the best from each learning theory and use it to create solid educational experiences (para. 2). So Lori, what is your opinion? How does learning theory work for you?

    Thanks
    Konstadinos

    Reference

    Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is where I struggle as a teacher. I find it difficult to apply the learning theory when appropriate.

      Delete
  2. I believe our educational system could survive without learning theories, but we will probably never give it a chance. Learning theories focus on how learning takes place, and not on how it can change and improve learning for students. I think this is a major problem with the –isms. I feel that if we do rely on these learning theories than up-to-date tools should be provided along with them. I am not saying we should not pay attention to the theories at all, but I think if we take various pieces from each one it would build a solid foundation to improve thinking, learning, and motivation. According to Kapp (2007), “Learning is not one thing…it is a multi-layered word that tends to get treated as if were just one thing…and it’s not" (para 6). Our educational system needs a lot of improvement, and I am saying that with a great deal of emphasis. Everyone is teaching to the test, and therefore, the learning theories are being ignored. The amount of pressure the state tests have on students and teachers has created a negative affect on education and learning.

    References
    Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and about: Discussion on educational schools of thought [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.kaplaneduneering.com/kappnotes/index.php/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that educators are beginning to teach to the test. I believe this is because teachers are evaluated on how well their students do on these tests. It's no longer about teaching students the skills needed to be life long learners but how to get the best score possible on the next test.

      Delete
  3. Lori, great post. I won't speak for everyone but I really feel this post required each of us to really reflect on how we see our approach to education and how we structure our learning environment. Lori do you believe the learning theories, if truly applied, will help to turn our classrooms into a learner-centered environment instead of a teacher-oriented structure? Lastly, how do you choose which learning theory/ies will be advantageous for your classroom?

    ReplyDelete