Monday, February 20, 2012

Looking Back

Over the last seven weeks I have been involved with a course instructing me on different learning theories and styles.  It has been more of a review of knowledge that I have tucked away in my memory.  As an educator, I will hear about these learning styles or theories occasionally in workshops or courses.  I also need to be aware of them as I create my lessons for my students.  Since I have previous knowledge of these theories and styles, my reflection on how I learn did not change much with this course.  Even though I knew the importance of social interaction and how it affects learning in my classroom, I myself never thought it was important to me as a learner.  I now know that I cannot fully create meaning without some type of social interaction (Kim, 2001).  This is one area I will need to work on so I can fully process new information and be able to transfer it to a new situation (Davis, Edmunds, & Kelly-Bateman, 2008).  As for my preferred learning style, I still believe it is through visual and auditory.  However, I do agree with the idea that my learning style may change depending upon the concept (Gilbert & Swanier, 2008). 

Technology has played a major role in my learning.  Internet resources have provided working adults a way to continue their education (Spencer, 2004).  The internet provides a way for me to pursue professional development or engage in meaningful conversations about subjects that are of interest to me (Ferriter, 2009).  I can create or join blogs.  I can locate tutorials on different types of programs or technology devices.  Technology has opened doors for me as a learner.  I can now locate, process and apply information quicker than ever before (Davis, Edmunds, & Kelly-Bateman, 2008). 

Resources:

Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism.

Ferriter, B. (2009). Learning with blogs and wikis. Educational Leadership, 66(5), 34–38.

Kim, B. (2001). Social constructivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Social_Constructivism.

No comments:

Post a Comment