Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Connectivism: Module 4


According to Connectivism theorists, people gain knowledge through the networks they create (Siemens, 2004).  According to Friedman (2005), the world has become flat.  We can reach more people and collaborate on a broader scale than ever before. 
As I created my mind map, I realized that my networks have changed the way I learn.  When I was in secondary school and college, my networks were limited to personal connections with my peers and the library.  Now, I hardly ever obtain information from the library.  The library is the last resort.  I first contact my peers, and then I search the internet.  I gain information from blogs or social networks I frequent.  The internet has allowed me to obtain information from different sources. 
References
Friedman, T. (2005). It’s a flat world, after all. New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1378440/posts.

Siemens, G. (2004). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age.  Retrieved from http://elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,

    I love the way you set up your Connectivism Mindmap. The arrows, pictures, and shapes together depict a clear picture of how your networks provide you with information and support and how you access different people and technologies digitally. With connectivism, the formation of connections between nodes of information constitutes knowledge and in addition, connectivisim posits that “the ability to construct and traverse those networks” (Downes, as cited in Kop & Hill, 2008, p. 6) comprises learning. Students under the age of 10 year old are going to use digital technologies more than any generation before. As a member of networks of connectivism, do you think that it is the right time for your kindergarten students to get some lessons in internet safety and protecting their privacy?

    Thanks
    Konstadinos

    Reference

    Kop, R., & Hill, A. (2008). Connectivism: Learning theory of the future or vestige of the past? International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 9(3), 1–13.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is never too early to teach children to be safe. The world is a dangerous place and the internet has made it easier for criminals to find targets.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,

    Your mindmap is phenomenal. I love the imagery which also speaks about technology and the incorporation of icons and images to help in presenting an idea (Siemnes, 2013). I also agree and respect the comment you made about your network changed with the transformation of your network and the way you obtain information. The question I have for you is in regards to the use of the library becoming the last resort. Do you feel the library will become obsolete due to technology and networks?

    ReplyDelete