Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Learning In A Digital World

A teacher willing to learn and broaden his or her teaching style and pedagogy is critical and non-negotiable.  Teachers need to realize that one strategy or even a repertoire of strategies will never meet the needs of all of their students year after year.  Over the last several years, I have noticed my students are not the same as the ones when I started teaching.  The teaching style and strategies I used when I first started teaching would not meet the needs of the students I have today.  In learning, making connections to others and information is critical and non- negotiable.  For myself, I know if I do not find relevance to the information then it usually goes in one ear and out the other.

One specific learning theory (behaviorist, cognitive, or constructivism) cannot fully explain how people learn.  Driscoll (2005) states each learning theory pinpoints some aspects while hides others.  Even though learning theories are efforts to explain how people learn, Shuell (2013) states these theories can help inform teaching.  A teacher needs to know what is entailed in each of these theories and apply the concepts of each theory when needed to maximize the learning process.  Learning theories have their limitations, however, they are needed.
References
Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.

Shuell, T. (2013, July). Theories of Learning. Retrieved from http://www.education.com/reference/article/theories-of-learning/#C.

6 comments:

  1. Lori, I love your post because this is what I also agree and believe as an educator. If an educator is not a good learner, how can they be a good teacher? If educators are not embracing the relevance of each theory, understanding the connection they have to the type of learners that embark within our classrooms, then how can they successfully implement or truly engage the students in which they teach? Education is not just a simple formula because our students are simple or all cut from the same cloth. That means, we have to work at our pedagogy and truly master it, in order for our students to be successful. Thank you for the insightful, reflective post and it was a pleasure being a part of your group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori,

    Great post! In your blog, there are two comments that stuck out at me. First, you said that “learning theory cannot fully explain how people learn.” I agree with you. Also, you said eloquently that “a teacher needs to know what is entailed in each of these theories and apply the concepts of each theory when needed to maximize the learning process.” I also agree with you.

    Therefore, our job as educators is very demanding and challenging. It takes time, a lot of effort, patience, and dedication. It takes many hours of studying and research as a doctoral student. Finally, we will get all the way to the end of the program where we will receive our doctoral degree. I believe then you will be able to apply with the wisdom you will get form the doctoral program the concepts of each theory when needed to maximize the learning process. Lori, what is your opinion?

    Thanks,
    Konstadinos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,

    Also, I want to wish you luck in your future courses. Thank you for being my mentor this quarter. Because of you, I have gained personal and professional development. I hope to take another course with you.

    Thanks,
    Konstadinos

    ReplyDelete
  4. The digital world that we live in today are the result of many innovations and technology advances. I wonder how would be the digital world in 2030?

    Also visit this link Medical Website Marketing vs Medical Digital Marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because the admin of this web site is working, no uncertainty very soon it will be well-known, due to its quality contents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good day I am so excited I found your site, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Yahoo for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete